Amber L. Johnson
Instructions for maintaining this personal page site
Initial documentation for Binford 2001 Frames_of_Reference
- Frames_of_Reference_Documentation: e.g., Computed Variables by Amber Johnson
- Binford-Johnson environmental maps
Publications in Pdf
Amber L. Johnson, 2008 Distinguishing Environmental and Density Dependent Aspects of Adaptation. Before Farming 2008/4 article 5: pp. 11-27.
Amber L. Johnson, Editor. 2004. Processual Archaeology: Exploring Analytical Strategies, Frames of Reference, and Culture Process.
- Table of Contents. -- Prelude : Searching for home in the modern landscape of archaeology / Robert L. Kelly — 1. The goals of processual archaeology / Amber L. Johnson — 2. Middle Paleolithic assemblage formation at Riparo Mochi / Steven L. Kuhn — 3. Taphonomy and site structure of a late Paleolithic open-air site / James G. Enloe — 4. Modes of ceramic production and distribution: some observations from Philippine ethnoarchaeology / William A. Longacre — 5. Mobility, sedentism, and intensification : organizational responses to environmental and social change among the San of southern Africa / 6. Robert K. Hitchcock — Poison hunting strategies and the organization of technology in the circumpolar region / Alan J. Osborn — 7. The functional hypothesis revisited : an evaluation of cumulative graphs using the Mousterian in the eastern Sahara of Egypt and in southwest France / Fred Wendorf and Romuald Schild — 8. Population ecology, predator-prey dynamics, and Paleolithic society / Mary C. Stiner — 9. On niche breadth, system stability, and the importance of a phrase / Amber L. Johnson — 10. Niche : a productive guide for use in the analysis of cultural complexity / Lewis R. Binford —11. Solving Meno's puzzle, defeating Merlin's subterfuge : bodies of reference knowledge and archaeological inference / LuAnn Wandsnider.
Amber L. Johnson. 2004.Chapter 1: The Goals of Processual Archaeology. pp. 11-27, In, Processual Archaeology: Exploring Analytical Strategies, Frames of Reference, and Culture Process.
Amber L. Johnson, 2004.Chapter 9: On Niche Breadth System Stability and the Importance of a Phrase. pp.261-296 Processual Archaeology: Exploring Analytical Strategies, Frames of Reference, and Culture Process.
Amber L. Johnson, 2002. Cross-Cultural Analysis of Pastoral Adaptations and Organizational States. Cross-Cultural Research 36(2): 151-180.
Amber L. Johnson and Robert J. Hard, 2008. Exploring Texas Archaeology with a Model of Intensification. Plains Anthropologist 53(205): 137-153.
Amber L. Johnson, Adolfo Gil, Gustavo Neme, and Jacob Freeman, 2009 Maices e intensificacion_explorando el uso de los marcos de referencia. _____
Lewis R. Binford. 1971. Mortuary Practices: Their Study and Their Potential Memoirs of the Society for American Archaeology No. 25, Approaches to the Social Dimensions of Mortuary Practices (1971), pp. 6-29. Published by: Society for American Archaeology.
- Lewis R. Binford, 2004. Chapter 10: Niche: A Productive Guide for Use in the Analysis of Cultural Complexity. pp. 297-314, In, Processual Archaeology: Exploring Analytical Strategies, Frames of Reference, and Culture Process.
Lewis R. Binford. 2004. Chapter 1: Beliefs about Death, Behavior, Mortuary Practices. In, Explaining social change : studies in honour of Colin Renfrew / edited by John F. Cherry, Chris Scarre & Stephen Shennan.
- Subjects: Renfrew, Colin, 1937-; Social archaeology.
- Chapter 1 Beliefs about Death, Behaviour, and Mortuary Practices among Hunter-gatherers: a Search for Causal Structure? 1
LEWIS R. BINFORD
- Chapter 2 Social Archaeology and the Unfinished Business of the Palaeolithic 17
- Chapter 3 Stage 3 Climate and the Upper Palaeolithic Revolution in Europe: Evolutionary Perspectives 27
- Chapter 4 Neo-thingness 45
- Chapter 5 Fractal Farmers: Patterns of Neolithic Origin and Dispersal 53
- Chapter 6 An Overview of Neolithic Settlement Patterns in Eastern Thessaly 65
MATS JOHNSON & CATHERINE PERLtS
- Chapter 7 Figuring Out Social Archaeology at Sitagroi 81
ERNESTINE S. ELSTER
- Chapter 8 Towards an Island of Mind? 93
CAROLINE MALONE & SIMON STODDART
- Chapter 9 A Choreography of Construction: Monuments, Mobilization and Social Organization in
Neolithic Orkney 103 COLIN RICHARDS
- Chapter 10 Now You See It, Now You Don't: Changing Obsidian Source Use in the
Willaumez Peninsula, Papua New Guinea 115 ROBIN TORRENCE
- Chapter 11 Island Prehistories: a View of Orkney from South Uist 127
MIKE PARKER PEARSON
- Chapter 12 Hail to the Chiefdom? The Quest for Social Archaeology 141
- Chapter 13 The Development of an Island Centre: Urbanization at Phylakopi on Melos 149
- Chapter 14 Stating Identities: the Use of Objects in Rich Bronze Age Graves 167
MARIE LOUISE STIG SORENSEN
- Chapter 15 The Role of Exchange Relations in the Origins of Mesopotamian Civilization 177
JOAN OATES & DAVID OATES
- Chapter 16 Cycles of Collapse in Greek Prehistory: the House of the Tiles at Lerna
and the 'Heroon' at Lefkandi 193 JAMES WHITLEY
- Chapter 17 Before Devanika: Social Change and State Formation in the Mekong Valley 203
- Chapter 18 Aegean Islands and Islanders 215
- Chapter 19 Aphrodite Observed: Insularity and Antiquities on Kythera through Outsiders' Eyes 227
CYPRIAN BROODBANK, JOHN BENNET & JACK L. DAVIS.
- Marwick, Ben. 2008. Stone artefacts and recent research in the archaeology of mainland Southeast Asian hunter-gatherers. Before Farming 2008/4 article 5.
- Branstetter, Cassie E. (Elaine) 2009. Correlations in Warfare among Hunter-Gatherers. References: Louis Binford's Hunter-Gatherer data set and Master ethnographic coding guide
Environmental file WorldWSminusAlaska_output.csv
- WorldWSminusAlaska_output.csv Weather stations 8000 from around the world.
- 1, 2 residentially movile: ExNomov1, 2
- lower density higher mobility, higher density lower mobility
- Expected group size 1,2,3
- Collaboration with Nora Franklin (Argentina)
studies stone tool lithic tools - distances they came from; rare things like obsidian; 14 sites across patagonia. Paper for Sfaa meeting.
- Model of pathogen rates, reproductive rates
Those maps in the 4 farming papers.
- codebook for variable names in the excel spreadsheets
- Chichihua Mexico
- Total pop for ethno group
- group sizes within the group
- When is regression equations out of bounds
- What can be projected for the world
- 3 ET zones ma for the world
- 12.75 ET Centigrade
- Yellow band have plants but need storage areas where agric often invented
- effect of warm Atlantic or other currents
- ET sensitive to elevation and general circulation patterns and ocean warming
- Surfer an older program, take into paint...
- decimal degrees