Edwin E. Erickson
- Edwin E. Erickson Collection
- Dr. Edwin E. Erickson, late member of the faculty of the Department of Anthropology, University of Virginia, worked on the cantometrics project with Alan Lomax at Columbia University and he did ethnomusicological research in South America.
- Professor of Anthropology and Sociology at the University of Virginia
- Folk Song Style and Culture Alan Lomax, Edwin E. Erickson Editorial Assistance
- Erickson, Edwin E. 1974. [
- Erickson, Edwin E. 1974. “Galton's Worst: A Note on Ember's Reflection”. Pp 62-83. In, James Schaefer. Studies in Cultural Diffusion: Galton's Problem, New Haven, HRAFlex Books, W6-002.
- Erickson, Edwin E. 1974. Galton's Worst: A Further Note on Ember's Reflection. Cross-Cultural Research 9: 7-11.
- Erickson, Edwin E. "The Song Trace: Song Styles and the Ethnohistory of Aboriginal America." Ph. D. dissertation, Columbia University, 1969-70 [Abstract in Dissertation Abstracts International 30, no. 9 (1970): 4471–72 B].
- Erickson, Edwin E. 1976. Tradition and Evolution in Song Style: A Reanalysis of Cantometric Data. Cross-Cultural Research November 1976 vol. 11 no. 4 277-308. Abstract: This paper reports the results of a reanalysis, using multivariate tech niques, of song-style data reported by Alan Lomax and his associates over the past decade. Lomax et al. have framed out an elaborate case for a causal connection between general cultural evolution and various features of song style, such as text wordiness and melodic embellishment, as measured by the cantometric coding system. In the present paper, certain of these hypotheses are tested with models which include explicit vari ables of societal location. The results of these tests provide considerable support for a diffusional-historic, as opposed to a functional-evolutionary, explanation of song-style variance. On the other hand, certain of Lomax's hypotheses relating vocal qualities to the degree of pi-eiiiat-ital sexual freedom per society received at least moderate support.
- Lomax, Alan with Conrad Arensberg, Edwin E. Erickson, Victor Grauer, Norman Berkowitz, Irmgard Bartenieff, Forrestine Paulay, Joan Halifax, Barbara Ayres, Norman N. Markel, Roswell Rudd, Monika Vizedom, Fred Peng, Roger Wescott, David Brown. 1968. Folk Song Style and Culture. Washington, D. C.: American Association for the Advancement of Science, Publ. No. 88.