- Welcome to InterSciWiki, the INTERdisciplinarySCIences Complexity wiki To find us again google "InterSciWiki"
Please add to our special pages (and thanks) for category - major contributors - new publications - DRW pubs - DRW Google Scholar.
Useful guidelines for creating Wiki content
- Content in [[double square brackets]] will be linked to existing content with that title, or a page to create that content. Links can contain an optional bar, "|". Content on the left of the bar is the target; to the right, the link shown. They require Login. (For login: Contact email@example.com). Ask for trusted editor status to let you easily add your url links to pages outside this site in [single square brackets]. They must start with one of the following: "http", "https", "ftp", or "mailto", and can exist either by themselves, or on the left of the bar.
- To sign your name on a 'discussion' page use ~~~~ which dates the comment for discussion. Please sign if you comment another user's page as a notice will go to that user to start or continue a conversation.
New: Sister site
Simulation support hosted by Steve Doubleday
The complexity wiki
An open community collaborative post-and-editing wiki on trans-disciplinary and especially networks and complexity sciences research that enriches each of the standard disciplines. Intended primarily for researchers, students, faculty and others engaged through individual and collaborative postings, courses, methods, shared and documented open-source software, tutorials, and tools for research and enhancing interdisciplinary advancement in the full range of overlapping human sciences, humanities, and natural and computer science, with interests in the complexity sciences, their teaching, and applications. For a USERid please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to participate by login with your real name, which lets you edit and create new pages and to modify others using the "edit" tab. As you type into the "edit" text window the Firefox browser has automatic spell-check (OS X:control-Click).
Current events lists our live and Streaming UC complexity Videoconferences and a speakers index for earlier talks, 2005-2008, listed along with those of other complexity centers.
Complexity and other news
- The Gezi Agenda June 13, 2013
- Crooks and Liars Rep. Nadler: NSA Can Listen To Phone Calls Without A Warrant ??? June 16, 2013 08:00 AM
- Congress is set to double the cost of student loans from 3.4% to 6.8% --while offering huge corporate banks the low rate of 0.75%. May 10, 2013. How's that for the fat cats?
- "California is the 4th-largest oil-producing state, but it is the ONLY state that does NOT tax Big Oil. We could raise $2 billion per year to begin repairing the damage of previous cuts to public education, but only if Democrats in the Legislature use their new super-majority power to pass it. Sarah Palin signed Alaska's oil severance tax of 25%! Texas charges 7.5%.(1) Why doesn't California make Big Oil pay for the privilege of profiting off our natural resources? State Senator Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) has proposed Senate Bill 241, which would tax oil extraction at a modest 9.9%. Public higher education would receive 93% of revenues, and 7% would go to the Department of Parks and Recreation." Courage Campaign May 4 2012.
- "The law limiting overall contributions was enacted in 1974 and expanded in 2002 to prevent donors from writing million-dollar checks to candidates, which the Supreme Court has ruled could contribute to the corruption or at least the appearance of corruption of public officials." Breaking that law with oversight by the FEC, "The Huffington Post identified 49 individuals who donated more than $150,000 in the last election cycle, far in excess of the biennial contribution limits. Of the 49 donors, 48 exceeded the PAC and party limit and 32 exceeded the candidate limit." Huffpost May 3 2013.
- The effects of unchecked criminalization: Black Teen charged with felony for science experiment By SESALI BOWEN | http://feministing.com/2013/05/01 Published: MAY 1, 2013
- Austerity Economics Takes A Major Blow As Key Research Paper Discredited April 19, 2013
- later breaking: Colbert Nation Stephen Colbert rips apart debunked austerity economics paper april 25, 2013
- "Ice that took 1,600 years to form in the Peruvian Andes took only 25 years to disappear, according to a new study."
- Senate passes devastating control over NSF scientific research in Political Science: Pro US Research only
- why-we-bought-bushs-lies From March 2, 2013, does not appear in the March 2, 2013 UK Guardian. Here is the original article from UK Guardian: How the bush-administration-sold-iraq-war is still very fresh. Its by Valerie Plame Wilson and Joe Wilson guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 27 February 2013 03.30 EST
- A half billion dollars of foul play with taxpayer money by lawmakers like Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, and Senators Max Baucus, Democrat of Montana, and Orrin G. Hatch, Republican of Utah, who hold heavy sway over Medicare payment policy as the leaders of the Finance Committee with deep financial and political ties to Amgen who pays them perks from $60-90,000 each. NYTimes: January 19, 2013, by ERIC LIPTON and KEVIN SACK
- Now revealed that the big banks themselves coordinated the fall attacks on occupy with the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, and local police: a totally integrated corporate-state repression of dissent. Naomi Wolfe, Guardian UK
- The myth of austerity
- Independent Party- The independent movement HuffPost 2009 Is the independent movement over? 2012
- Story emerges of Labor Day armed infighting at “FreedomWorks” which dominates the Tea Party clique that defeated Boehner’s attempt to negotiate the fiscal cliff settled by a libertarian magnate’s promise of $400,000/year to get rid of “FreedomWorks” leader Dick Armey, former Republican House leader. RSN Dec 26 2012
- More slaughters on the way thanks to the NRA backed by The Right’s Second Amendment Lies Dec 21, 2012
- Why the US media ignored Murdoch's brazen bid to hijack the presidency: Did the Washington Post and others underplay the story through fear of the News Corp chairman, or simply tin-eared judgment? 20 Dec 2012 The Guardian
- Why the fiscal cliff is causing a nervous breakdown on the right Daily Beast Effects of the fiscal cliff
- Republicans oppose Regulation of assault weapons: not even the assault weapons that can fire 30 rounds of .22 caliber bullets in half a minute. Salon.com Dec 19 2012
- RSN Dec 12 2012: Lawrence Tribe: "It badly distorts the meaning of everything I have written on the subject to treat me as remotely hostile to the comprehensive national regulation of firearms and ammunition possession, transfer, and use; and it even distorts my meaning to regard my views as similar to those that the Roberts Court has expressed on the subject, although I hasten to add that even this Court's unfortunate views leave very substantial room for close regulation and even prohibition of entire categories of dangerous firearms and the ammunition that makes them lethal. The fact that many of my fellow gun control proponents were disappointed by the nuanced character of what I wrote in 2000 shouldn't be allowed to distract from my continuing conclusion that the Constitution permits, and that sane public policy demands, vastly stricter firearms regulation than exists in the United States today.""
- These congressmen have received between $7,400 and $9,900 to "represent" the NRA: House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), Mike Coffman (R-Co), Rick Berg (R-ND), Jim Renacci (R-OH), Steve Fincher (R-TN), and more.
- West Antarctica Warming Twice As Fast As Previously Believed: Study HuffPost Dec 24 2012
- Election results: Senate
- 6 Nov'12 Election: Through the process of an honest democratic election we regained a united country and have the opportunity to lift ours and the world economy out of the mini-depression that we got ourselves into through transgressions of Bankers and Wall Street and the inability to cooperate in the aftermath of the financial collapse.
Do we want to join the Openfree wiki community?
Networks and Network Analysis for the Humanities - Deadline August 2010 CFA: NEH Institute for Advanced Topics in Digital Humanities @ UCLA
- Call For Applications: Institute For Pure And Applied Mathematics (IPAM) & The Center For Digital Humanities at UCLA
- The IPAM speakers are from mathematics and computer sciences, the only social scientist so far is John Mohr, UCI PhD and Sociology faculty, UCSD, the almost all .
- The message is: the Humanities have arrived at Network Analysis.
And others... Note to all: an Edit tab will appear over every wiki page ONCE YOU LOGIN (with your actual name, please!)
Help:Navigation (see Help Tells how to log in, create your bio, describe your research, design pages for your discussion groups and courses, comment and post, etc. Use discretion: what you write on the wiki is public and explicitly GFDL licensed for redistribution with citation. Write publicly with forethought. Redistribution of indiscretion will happen when you don't want it. You can also write iteratively, in steps, and revise indefinitely, but drafts are saved in the history tab and are thus accessible. Wikipedia:Wikipedia:How to edit a page
Please use Image copyright tags for all images that you upload. InterSci Wiki licenses free access to its content in the same sense as free software is licensed freely under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). and can be used by anybody subject to certain restrictions, most of which serve to ensure that freedom. Content can be copied, modified, and redistributed so long as the new version grants the same freedoms to others and acknowledges the authors or pages used (a direct link back to the page satisfies this credit requirement). InterSci content therefore remains free in perpetuity under this copyleft principle.
Setting up your own MediaWiki?
- Email email@example.com if you discover how to implement in wikimedia "Please take a moment to rate this page below. Your feedback is valuable and helps us improve our website."
- http://wholinkstome.com/url/intersci.ss.uci.edu (google rank=4 of 10 is below the top 29% and above the lower 22%), e.g. at about 40% of the way to the very top sites (top half ~ 60%). This is not the more general UCI link rating which is:
- http://wholinkstome.com/url/uci.edu (google rank=8 of 0-9, the top 1.2%)
- intersci.ss.uci.edu Google indexed pages: 1,440 Bing Related: 111
- http://wholinkstome.com/url/escholarship.org has page rank=6, top 14%, with 1,090 Google indexed pages, 1,530 Yahoo Links, and 588 Bing Related pages.
- Not clear in these how to interpret the pagerank:
- http://wholinkstome.com/url/eclectic.anthrosciences.org has page rank=0, keyword rank=3 for intersci.ss.uci.edu
- http://eclectic.anthrosciences.org has page rank=0
- Mediawiki Site Statistics "this page has been accessed" times JUST SET $wgDisableCounters=false; DONE
- $wgDisableCounters determines whether or not to update the number of times a page has been viewed. If $wgDisableCounters is set to false, each page will have a counter in its footer saying: "This page has been accessed X times"
Log-ins available from the syops
- From 1997-2011 logins were available to anyone, but by March 2011 systematic hackers were sufficiently common that, without all the editor and bot resources of Wikipedia, requests for new logins should go to the mediawiki sysops, firstname.lastname@example.org. Your full or abbreviated name will be your login and you will be sent a password that you can change. Login will allow you to add and edit pages.