Teachers of Douglas R. White
I had many good teachers of complexity.
- Buckminister Fuller, Engineer and Designer, taught me the relation between dynamics and structure: the dymaxion house, the fuller dymaxion dome, dymaxion transportation systems, dynamical earth. At the heart of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion concept is the idea that rational action in a rational world demands the most efficient overall performance per unit of input. His Dymaxion structures, then, are those that yield the greatest possible efficiency in sustainable (hence alternative) technology. His belief was that several hundred years would be required for these advances to come forth into practice. Buckminister Fuller
- Wikipedia:Adamson Hoebel, process models, cooperation and conflict, and an introduction to the Manchester School of
- Wikipedia:Max Gluckman and his students and colleagues
- Wikipedia:Clyde Mitchell,
- Wikipedia:Elizabeth Colson,
- Wikipedia:Thayer Scudder.
- Roy G. Francis, who used Wikipedia::Darrell Huff's "perennially popular" Wikipedia::How to Lie with Statistics (1954) to teach his class. "Over the last fifty years, How to Lie with Statistics has sold more copies than any other statistical text." J.M. Steele. "Darrell Huff and Fifty Years of How to Lie with Statistics. Statistical Science, 20 (3), 2005, 205–209. - cited in Wikipedia. See "Social Science Education", R. G. Francis pp. 305-317 in The challenge of science education, edited by Joseph S. Roucek.-BLP [1971, c1959] 491 p. 24 cm. (EIRS) Includes bibliographical references. Dewey: 507/.1 1. Science-Study and teaching.
- Wikipedia:Eric Wolf, the best of my teachers, among many of the greats at the University of Michigan: "Anthropology is both a science and a humanity" (Anthropology 1964 Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall), along with
- Edward Tufte, The principles of visualization, visualizing quantitative information.
- Arthur Iberall, Engineer and Physicist, designer of the space suit for the first American space voyage, developed homeokinetics as a theory of complex causal networks.
- Frank Harary, my teacher of Graph Theory (University of Michigan) and a delightful coauthor, along with, at Michigan,
- Wikipedia:Andrew Vayda, at Columbia. Ecological anthropology.
- Wikipedia:Robert F. Murphy, at Columbia. Economic anthropology.
- Wikipedia:Marvin Harris, at Columbia. Cultural Materialism. Anthropological theory.
- Wikipedia:Paul Lazarsfeld, Columbia, Mathematical Sociology.
- Wikipedia:Pertti Pelto, Minnesota, Fieldwork, Methodology
- Wikipedia:James L. Gibbs, Minnesota, Fieldwork practicum, Social Structure